Architecture and Built Environment encompasses all of our teaching, research and enterprise in Architecture, Interior Architecture, Quantity and Building Surveying, Real Estate and Housing.
– Ranked in the QS World Top 200 for Architecture and Built Environment (2018).
– Ranked 9th in the UK for Architecture and 20th for Building, Town and Country Planning in The Guardian University Guide 2020.
– Our programmes in Architecture and Building Surveying have achieved 83% and 90% overall satisfaction respectively in the 2019 National Student Survey. We are ranked within the top 10 in the UK for overall satisfaction in Architecture.
– Currently investing in new state-of-the-art architecture studios, designed by Page\Park Architects, who have won over 150 national and international design awards. An extension of Northumbria’s historic 19th century Sutherland Building, the new studios will open in early 2019, providing world-class facilities for architecture students.
– Ranked 23rd in the latest UK wide research assessment exercise (Research Excellence Framework 2014, UoA16), with nearly half of our research outputs rated as world-leading or internationally excellent.
– We actively engage with industry, professional institutions and UK/overseas bodies and research networks, including Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB), The Association of Researchers in Construction Management (ARCOM) and the Conseil International du Bâtiment (CIB).
– Extensive professional body accreditations including the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA), Architects Registration Board (ARB), Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH).
– Our academics are key founders of the Times Higher Education (2017) “most innovative Business-University collaboration” award-winning BIM Academy Enterprises (Ltd), a unique joint venture with Ryder Architecture Ltd for construction digital services with commissions in the UK and Europe, Middle East, Far East and Australasia. Its high-profile projects include the Sydney Opera House and the M+ Museum in Kowloon, Hong Kong.
– Successfully awarded funding for a wide variety of projects in areas ranging from social housing, hot lime technology and material erosion, through to Building Information Modelling (BIM) and Knowledge Transfer Partnerships.
– Architecture is ranked top in the North East for sustained employment, both one and three years after graduation. Northumbria is also the highest ranking university in the North East for both male and female earnings in Architecture, Building & Planning one year, three years and five years after graduation.
– Developed successful and long-standing relationships with international partner educational institutions, ensuring we attract undergraduate and postgraduate students from around the world including Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore and Sri Lanka. In addition, we offer an MSc Real Estate (International) course.
– A growing reputation for ‘Live Projects’ (student/industry collaborations) within Architecture, including the recent Land of Oak and Iron Centre in Gateshead and the Angel of the North Visitors Centre, which is soon to be built.